Monday, July 19, 2010

Apple Black Currant Squares



The other day, Dave came home with some black currants from his mom's. I don't think I've ever actually had fresh black currants, so I was trying to think of what I could do with them. First thing that popped into my mind was jam, but there was only about a cup and a bit, so
I decided against that idea. Last weekend I had made a Blueberry Apple Crisp using apples I had frozen from our tree last year. I still had some apples leftover so I thought hmmm...black currants...apples....crumbly.....squares!

So these are what I made:

Apple Black Currant Squares

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup rolled oats
1 lb cooking (tart) apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1 cup blackcurrants

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt. Cut in the butter (should resemble coarse meal). Stir in the sugar and oats.

Spoon half the mixture into the bottom of a lined cake pan (9x13)

Mix the apples, cornstarch and oats. Spread over the top and top with the currants.

Spoon the remaining mixture over top, levelling the top.

Bake 30 minutes, until springy.
Leave to cool, then cut into bars.


No comments:

Post a Comment