Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Mango-licious


The other day there was a great sale on cases of Mangoes at Wholesale. I saw these beauties and thought of the deliciousness that could lay ahead should I put them in my cart. So I did.

I had been craving a crisp or a cobbler, so I knew that some of those would definitely become that. As for the rest, well around here don't let the clouds, rain and just plain cold fool you. It's summer! And that means slushy cocktails! They all won't go towards those....or will they??

So, I got peeling and chopping! Some went into the blender to be puréed and some just remained in chunks to be used in my dessert and for smoothies!


I poured the purée into ice cube trays so that we can grab a couple frozen cubes to mix into delicious margaritas and daiquiris! I bagged the chunks up into 1 cup portions, which could be used for smoothies or baking or curry, even salads!

Leftover purée went into a baggie for one of those days when I need a VERY large margarita!
Those chunks sitting there patiently in the green bowl were used for this..


Mango Strawberry Cobbler

Filling
2 cups strawberries
2 cups mango
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp sugar

Topping
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tbsp sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter, frozen
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375°F.
Combine fruit in a large bowl and toss with the flour, sugar and lemon juice. Pour into a 2-quart ovenproof dish. You want the fruit to fill the dish, but to not rise above the edges.


Whisk together the dry ingredients. Grate in the frozen butter and mix lightly with fingers.


Pour in milk and stir until mixture comes together and forms a dough.


Place spoonfuls of the dough on top of the fruit evenly, covering it.


 Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden, about 45 minutes. Serve warm!


 Recipe courtesy of Chef Michael Smith



No comments:

Post a Comment